On Monday, 19 June 2017 at 01:57:00 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 23:11:25 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
On 18/06/2017 5:29 PM, Meta wrote:
We should be careful not to make *too* close a comparison. While Javascript is a necessary evil for web applications and some people do like it, I get the feeling that it's becoming less and less liked. It's not quite a fractal of bad design like PHP, but it has more than a few drastic shortcomings and design flaws.

The moment webasm becomes a realistic target, I will do EVERYTHING in my power to get Lua in the browser (yes there already is solutions).

Stuff Javascript, kill it, replace it with something actually properly designed!

Why not D? And why wait till it's a realistic target? Wasm is clearly going to be the answer and it's an answer to a problem that exists, so what does one gain by waiting?

+1

At the moment, for web development I use Go or PHP on the server side, and JavaScript on the client side.

Using Node.js on the server side would allow me to use the same language on both side, which would be PERFECT.

But programming asynchronous code with Node.js is a pain in the ass compared to Go.

D's syntax and standard libraries make it very similar to both JavaScript and Go.

I know it because it was incredibly easy to convert my Node.js tools to D.

With Wasm, D has the potential to become a perfect alternative to Dart and JavaScript, by being available on both the server and the client side.

This is a unique window of opportunity for D, as this would make it a very solid and serious contender to both Dart, Go, JavaScript and C++.

So why not try to promote the development of a D to Wasm compiler as a master thesis to the software engineering students in universities ?