On Wednesday, 18 October 2017 at 18:02:24 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:

But make the installation and learning curve as smooth as possible for less-skilled developers, by allowing them to download an all-in-one bundled installer (compiler+ide+tutorials+examples), and they will be much more to join the D community !

Because you may think it's already the case, but you should trust Rion and the others when they say it's not really the case, especially on windows.

don't take my response too seriously...but...

The open-source community is mostly driven by 'volunteers'...who work on what they want to work on, when they have some spare time to work on it. I think too many people do not understand this, and so come in with bloated expectations.

Unlike commerical developers, the open source community rarely has the money or the resources for the 'all-in-one bundled' mindset. That's just how it is. That is the starting point for your expecations.

I blame commerical developers, like Microsoft/Apple, and universities especially!

They go out of their way to make the 'installation and learning curve as smooth as possible'..for beginners! And they are responsible for setting those kind of expectations up in peoples minds..at the 'beginning'! This is not the mindset you want when you enter the open source community...

I guess this is ok, if you're only every going to encounter commercial solutions when you go out into the real world...but the world has changed a lot..and you're actually more likely to encounter non-commercial, open source software these days.

So perhaps they should start teaching undergrad's how to setup an open-source operating system (preferably FreeBSD...Linux if you really have to.. ;-)

They should teach undergrad's to program in C/C++ (since open-source o/s's are written in these languages - though more C than C++)

They should teach undergrad's to program in a simple, plain text editor.

They should teach undergrad's to compile/debug from the command line/shell.

Instead, they teach C# on Windows, using VS.

open source, and D too, did not come about as a result of C#/Windows/VS users being disappointed with their language and/or tooling ;-)

So my recommendation for beginners, is [0..9]:

[0] - dump windows! (or at least dual boot, or setup a vm or something).
[1] - install FreeBSD (linux if you really have to ;-)
[2] - start writing some C/C++ code using Vi, and compiling from the shell prompt.
[3] - realise that there must be an easier way...
[4] - install KDE (hey..we don't want things to be too hard..do we).
[5] - dump C/C++ and install LLVM's D compiler => pkg install ldc
(or install DMD: just download from the website and extract it)
[6] - open a 'more user friendly' text editor (like Kate).
[7] - start coding again, in D this time.
[8] - open a shell.
[9] - start compiling/debugging.

Then you *will* notice how much easier things are, and you won't be disappointed ;-)

And...you'll be better prepared to join the D community (or any other open source community for that matter).