Lutger wrote:
I tend to think attributes in .NET are a regular means of abstraction, much like classes or generics. In part, they make up for lack of other metaprogramming features in some .NET languages.

I agree; I think they are best for associating arbitrary information with arbitrary types or type members. I'm still hoping D will get user defined annotations some day in the future. I claim that they will be very useful for metaprogramming (at compile- and runtime). You wouldn't have to go roundabout ways to associate additional information to e.g. struct members.

Especially I'm hoping that Walter doesn't mistake annotations for just a separate keywords namespace.