On Thursday, 2 November 2017 at 08:59:05 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
On Thursday, 2 November 2017 at 06:28:52 UTC, codephantom wrote:

But Ken Thompson summed it all up nicely: "You can't trust code that you did not totally create yourself."

Even that is wrong. You can trust code you create yourself only if it was reviewed by others as involved as you. I do not trust the code I write. The code I write is generally conforming to the problem I think it solves. More than once I was wrong on my assumptions and therefore my code was wrong, even if perfectly implemented.

He means trust in the sense that there's no nefarious payload hidden in there, not that it works properly.