On Sunday, 26 November 2017 at 19:11:08 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
We can't even have different heaps for immutable and mutable stuff, because it's very common to construct something as mutable and then cast it to immutable (either explicitly or

This is easy to fix, introduce a uniquely owned type (isolated) that only can transition to immutable.

So it is more about being willing to tighten up the semantics. Same thing with GC, but everything has a cost.

That said Adam has a point with getting more users, it isnt obvious that the costs wouldnt be offset by increased interest. Anyway, it seems like C# and Swift are pursuing the domain D is in by gradually expanding into more performance oriented programming mechanisms... We'll see.