On 2017-12-01 23:45, Walter Bright wrote:

I had forgotten, permission indeed was in my email archives from 2011.

But a problem remained - to anyone looking at the file, it looks like we copied the code and changed the license without permission. So I added a comment clarifying that we did have permission.

In addition to that, the first commit for that module was a copy paste of the PHP code, which is Boost licensed [1]. I was a suggestion by you and turned out to be really useful, both for this topic and for catching issues in porting the PHP code to D.

---

I once received a furious email from a person who said I stole his software and was distributing it without permission. I dug back through my archives, and forwarded him his own email granting me permission. Dodged a bullet on that one.

I once solicited and received permission from K+R to quote sections of their classic C book (both were extremely nice). It was during a stretch of about 3 months where I wasn't making backups, and a disk crash wiped it out. I was too embarrassed about that to ask again, and so I never used the quotes, and now it's too late.

It pays to keep backups of email. I very rarely need it, but when I do, it's a life saver. Though having 20 years of it now means searching it is a bit of a challenge :-)

Perhaps time to write a D tool for that job ;)

--
/Jacob Carlborg