On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 03:00:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 1/31/2018 5:58 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
cosmetic features.

I tough lesson I've learned is that cosmetics matter, a lot. Sometimes much more than substance. There's no getting away from it.

This is one reason I recommend markdown for docs. Cosmetics is what markdown does best. People *like* looking at it and editing it. It's like typing an email or a forum comment.

Other reasons I recommend it are:

* everyone already knows it (it's at github, stackoverflow, and reddit),

* it's fairly easy to write (as easy as possible while still looking good),

  * there's an open spec (CommonMark), and

* writing new language-specific markup formats appears to be something that's not done anymore. There's javadoc, texinfo, doxygen, docbook, groff --- all very ... *mature* technologies. In modern projects: Rust uses markdown, Python uses reST, Git uses asciidoc --- all general-purpose non- language-specific lightweight markup formats.

The only reason I can think of for *not* using markdown for project docs is if your project is another competing lightweight markup format.