On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 13:08:25 UTC, Bo wrote:
On Thursday, 8 February 2018 at 03:36:17 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
But really who is selling D to anyone? We are very far from that stage right now. Did someone sell D to Microsoft COM team, Remedy or to Weka? Nope. People who had earned the authority to decide became aware of the language end decided to use it. And they did so because for them it solved their particular problems better then anything else they could think of.

The question one needs to ask is more: how long ago have those developers decided to use D and why is the technology not more widespread in those companies.

If D solved the issues in those companies, you expect to see a increased switch to a language.

That conclusion relies on the assumption that programmers / managers / tech leads / CTOs choose programming languages based on technical merits alone. While there are certainly people who do that, in my experience they are in a small minority.

There's inertia, tribalism, sunk cost fallacy, fear of the unknown, fear of change, lack of wanting to invest time in a new technology, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (touted many a time by people who either ignore security exploits or justify it saying it's not the language's fault but bad programmers), popularity, herd mentality, ...

Unit tests are a great idea, right? Try convincing a group of 10 programmers who have never written one and don't know anyone else who has. I have; I failed.

Atila

And yet most of those companies use D in one project and it stays in that one project. That means other developers do not switch, management has no task to introduce it elsewhere and the project is more or less supported by the developer that pushed for the technology.