On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 20:33:18 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 17:33:52 12345swordy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 February 2018 at 15:52:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu

wrote:
> https://isocpp.org/blog/2018/02/new-cpp-foundation-developer-survey-lite
-2018-02

> Andrei

I have submitted, already. My major complaints boils down to the fact that they refuse to deprecated features due to religious like devotions to backwards compatibility support.

The main problem with that is that the fact that as soon as you're willing to break backwards compatability in C++, then you lose one of the major benefits of C++ (that the same code compiles pretty much forever) and that if you're willing to give up on that, you might as well be using another language like D or Rust. I'm sure that there's a crowd who would love to break some aspects of backwards compatability with C++ and stick with it rather than switching to another language, but if someone actually really tried to fix C++, you wouldn't end up with C++ anymore. You might not end up with D or Rust, but it would definitely be a new language, and if you're willing to do that, why stick with C++?

The other problem is that many of C++'s problems come from being a superset of C, which is also a huge strength, and it would be a pretty huge blow to C++ if it couldn't just #include C code and use it as if it were C++. To truly fix C++ while retaining many of its strengths would require fixing C as well, and that's not happening.

- Jonathan M Davis

Yes I know that backwards compatibility comes with benefits, but gosh darn it, it doesn't stop me from complaining about it. Even more so it's very popular language to develop video games on it.