Seb wrote:

Out of interest: Why would you compile the compiler from the release sources? After all, it's the binary release bundle and not the development build. Also there are tools like digger that automate everything for you...

I understand that sometimes it can be nice to do that, but imho you are making a big deal out of this, while it's not really one in practice as you can simply fetch the source from GitHub. Also there is no CI for the release builds and there's only one person who can build them (Martin) as it requires virtual machines for all supported OSes. Martin does an amazing job, but there's only so much one person can do...

every sentence in this answer is perfect. and the whole thing perfectly illustrates the reasons for my hardfork.