On Tuesday, 13 March 2018 at 22:08:10 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
With respect to interacting with libraries, I agree that a user should choose either row-order or column-order and stick to it. But what options are available for the user of a column-major language (or array library) to call mir if mir only makes available functions that handle row-major layouts? RCppArmadillo doesn't have an issue because both R and Armadillo are column-major. Going the other way, you'd probably know better than I would, but it looks like in embedr the only way I see to assign a D matrix to a RMatrix is by copying values. If a matrix was already in column-major form, then how easy much easier would it be to interact with R?

With embedr, any data that is used by R has to be allocated by R. Therefore one would have to allocate R data (column-major) and then pass it to Mir. So I suppose you're right that it would be necessary to have some way to work with column-major data if you want to call Mir from R.