On 5/24/18 8:35 AM, Chris wrote:
On Monday, 9 April 2018 at 18:27:26 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
How difficult would it be to migrate an existing modern GC-implementation into D's?

Which kinds of GC's would be of interest?

Which attempts have been made already?

IBM has open sourced its JVM:

https://www.eclipse.org/openj9/

They claim they have good GCs. So maybe someone knowledgeable wants to have a look at it.

It's GPL, Apache, or EPL. I'm not sure about EPL, but I know that the former 2 are not convertible to Boost, so we couldn't accept a port from there.

Really though, the issues with D's GC are partly to blame from the language itself rather than the GC design. Having certain aspects of the language precludes certain GCs. Java as a language is much more conducive to more advanced GC designs.

-Steve