After too many days of frustration to be able to count, I finally discovered what works for our builds: the debug build of 64-bit dmd on Windows.

When I build the release version from the Makefile or use digger, it produces a dmd binary that crashes randomly (bad enough) or compiles executables which themselves crash or run forever (much, much worse).

In all cases I installed dmd 2.080.0 from the installer then just copied over dmd.exe over the 32-bit one. I can't see what reason there'd be for the pre-built druntime and phobos binaries to not work just because dmd changed from 32-bit to 64-bit. But who knows.

This post is both a warning to the intrepid D programmers out there who'd rather not hit a 4GB RAM limit for no reason on Windows and also a question to see if anybody has been able to use 64-bit dmd on Windows like <insert deity here> intended.

Slightly slower builds are definitely better than ones that are flaky or hit gitlab's time limit.

Atila