On 6/22/18 1:41 PM, Stefan Koch wrote:
On Friday, 22 June 2018 at 00:50:05 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 6/21/18 6:46 PM, Per Nordlöw wrote:
I've discovered the annoying fact that std.conv.to doesn't scale for enum to string conversion when the enum has hundreds of members. This because of a call to `NoDuplicates` which has (at least) O(n*log(n) time and space complexity.

So I've come up with

/** Faster implementation of `std.conv.to`.
  */
string toString(T)(T value) @safe pure nothrow @nogc
if (is(T == enum))
{
     final switch (value)
     {
         static foreach (member; __traits(allMembers, T))
         {
         case __traits(getMember, T, member):
             return member;

///
@safe pure nothrow @nogc unittest
{
     enum E { unknown, x, y, z, }
     assert(E.x.toString == "x");
     assert(E.y.toString == "y");
     assert(E.z.toString == "z");
}

The question know is: How do I make this support enums with enumerator aliases without needing to call `NoDuplicates`?

You can't. That's why it's in there. And I can't think of a better algorithm than O(nlgn). That's what it would cost to sort anyway.

The sucky thing is, the compiler is *already* doing a sort on the items in the switch, and *already* doing the duplicate check. It would be cool to be able to leverage this mechanism to avoid the library solution, but I don't know how we can do that, as the semantics for switch are well defined, and there's no other way to hook this builtin functionality.

One thing that may be worthwhile is checking to see if a CTFE solution is better than a template solution. In other words:

string[] dedup(string[] identifiers) { ... }

enum items = dedup(__traits(allMembers, T));

static foreach(member; items) ...

Just avoiding all the template symbol generation may make it worth it, even if the dedup function is O(n^2) complexity.

I do have my own ctfe utils for this
{https://forum.dlang.org/post/bfnwstkafhfgihavt...@forum.dlang.org}, however without dedup (because I'd rather be alerted when it happens) what you have to do is to sort the enum values.
(I'd suggest a non-recursive mergesort.)

How will that perform in CTFE? I'm concerned about swapping values making it allocate new arrays all over the place.

However if there are no duplicates there's no need to deduplicate, the reason it is deduplicated it because the switch_statement forbids duplicates.

If you can sort, deduplicating is as easy as checking if the value is the same as the previous. So really, we just need a good compile-time sort for strings.

I may add that this performs very well with newCTFE I don't know about the old engine, but I'd assume even there it's faster.
I think your algorithm is roughly the same as Nordlow's. Basically you are using the compiler to sort the array (as it does anyway for a switch statement).

-Steve