On Wednesday, 25 July 2018 at 08:23:40 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 09:54:37 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 at 00:41:54 UTC, RhyS wrote:
[...]

+1

IMO, D in its current state, and with its current ecosystem, even after more than a decade of existence, is still NOT the best alternative to C/C++ where they HAVE to be used (microcontrollers, game engines, etc), despite D has always had this objective in mind. And despite C++ is an unsafe language which makes it easy to have memory leaks, dangling pointers, etc.

[...]

I might add that the C# 7.x improvements for low level memory management, and the effort that Unity is doing with their C# subset (HPC# with Burst compiler toolchain) to migrate core subsystems from C++ to C#, it gets even harder for adoption in the games industry.

https://unity3d.com/unity/features/job-system-ECS

Mike Acton and Andreas Fredriksson left Insomianc Games to help drive this effort.

Mike opinions regarding performance and C vs C++ are very well known across the gaming industry, and here he is improving C# performance at Unity.

--
Paulo

Yop :)

Orthodox C++ and data-oriented designs are now the basis of most new game engines since several years.

I'm glad that the Unity management has finally decided to switch its engin to a more modern archicture, so we can now develop our games as everybody else in the industry...