On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 at 16:08:07 UTC, Martin Tschierschke wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 at 12:52:19 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
An article comparing the above languages as per the DoD language requirements [0].

http://jedbarber.id.au/steelman.html

[0] - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelman_language_requirements

Interesting!

Do you understand this:

7H. Formal Array Parameters. The number of dimensions for formal array parameters must be specified in programs and shall be determinable during translation. Determination of the subscript range for formal array parameters may be delayed until invocation and may vary from call to call. Subscript ranges shall be accessible within function and procedure bodies without being passed as explicit parameters.

Subscript ranges are not accessible in D or Rust.

I do not understand the meaning of "subscript ranges"? Isn't this slicing?

I believe this means the range of the underlying array. For arrays on the heap, the D runtime could actually figure this out (using the same mechanism as for calculating .capacity), but of course it can't be done generally.