On 8/26/2018 8:43 AM, Chris wrote:
I wanted to get rid of autodecode and I even offered to test it on my string heavy code to see what breaks (and maybe write guidelines for the transition), but somehow the whole idea of getting rid of autodecode was silently abandoned. What more could I do?

It's not silently abandoned. It will break just about every D program out there. I have a hard time with the idea that breakage of old code is inexcusable, so let's break every old program?

But what for was it introduced at all and why wasn't it thought through properly right from the start?

Because nobody thought about that issue before. A lot of things only become apparent in hindsight.