On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 at 11:30:20 UTC, JN wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 at 08:39:20 UTC, bauss wrote:
The following language is a dangerous competitor to D.

https://github.com/joaomilho/Enterprise

I often feel like this kind of 'jokes' are trying too hard. FizzBuzz Enterprise was fun when it first came out, and I know it's popular to hate on OOP programming, especially Java. But the fact is, a very big portion of software was built using OOP, and many of the hated design patterns have a place in programming. Sure, it doesn't provide witty one-liner quicksort examples, but when you have a group of people, having to integrate multiple webservices/databases, these kind of layered code architecture comes in handy.

Of course sometimes people go too far, trying to make the code generic and fit every usecase, breaking YAGNI.

Most of the hate towards OOP is misdirected. Java will be always slow because it always running in a VM, no structures so you have to rely on reference-type classes for everything. Other times it's on the developer. Thanks to my education, I first wanted to approach every problems in programming from an object-oriented viewpoint, since that was the only one we were taught (and I missed the classes on interfaces due to an incident, so I struggled to keep up).

You have to learn where to use what. I personally hate C and C++ precompiler macros more, which made porting LZHAM to D a nightmare sometimes. Some parts of the macros got completely eliminated since Fiber saves most things on the stack.