On 09/20/2018 03:38 AM, Kagamin wrote:
On Thursday, 20 September 2018 at 02:48:06 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
What drives me mad is when allegedly cross-platform tools deliberately propagate non-cross-platform quirks that could easily be abstracted away and pretend that's somehow "helping" me instead of making a complete wreck of the whole point of cross-platform.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/limits.h.html
A strictly conforming application must not require a larger value for correct operation.
{_POSIX_NAME_MAX}
    Maximum number of bytes in a filename (not including terminating null).
     Value: 14
{_POSIX_PATH_MAX}
     Maximum number of bytes in a pathname.
     Value: 256

I generally omit obvious disclaimers such as "to a reasonable extent" and "within reason".

I've yet to see a current, non-esoteric *nix that has such limitations. Particularly that first one. If it were a realistic thing, like it is with Windows, then I'd be all for a similarly simple workaround if such exists. But to my knowledge, that is more theoretical/historical than it is realistic.