On 9/21/18 9:08 PM, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
On Friday, 21 September 2018 at 20:25:54 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
But identifiers? I haven't seen hardly any use of non-ascii identifiers in C, C++, or D. In fact, I've seen zero use of it outside of test cases. I don't see much point in expanding the support of it. If people use such identifiers, the result would most likely be annoyance rather than illumination when people who don't know that language have to work on the code.

....you *do* know that not every codebase has people working on it who only know English, right?

If I took a software development job in China, I'd need to learn Chinese. I'd expect the codebase to be in Chinese. Because a Chinese company generally operates in Chinese, and they're likely to have a lot of employees who only speak Chinese.

And no, you can't just transcribe Chinese into ASCII.

Same for Spanish, Norwegian, German, Polish, Russian -- heck, it's almost easier to list out the languages you *don't* need non-ASCII characters for.

Anyway, here's some more D code using non-ASCII identifiers, in case you need examples: https://git.ikeran.org/dhasenan/muzikilo

But aren't we arguing about the wrong thing here? D already accepts non-ASCII identifiers. What languages need an upgrade to unicode symbol names? In other words, what symbols aren't possible with the current support?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

-Steve