On Friday, 12 October 2018 at 20:12:26 UTC, Stanislav Blinov wrote:
On Friday, 12 October 2018 at 19:55:02 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

Freeing your mind and the codebase of having to deal with memory leaves it in an easier place to deal with the less common higher impact leaks: file descriptors, sockets, database handles ect. (this is like chopping down the forest so you can see the trees you care about ;) ).

That's done first and foremost by stripping out unnecessary allocations, not by writing "new" every other line and closing your eyes.

If you need perf in your _scripts_, a use LDC and b) pass -O3 which among many other improvements over baseline will promote unnecessary garbage collection to the stack.

I mean come on, it's 2018. We're writing code for multi-core and multi-processor systems with complex memory interaction.

We might be sometimes. I suspect that is less likely for a script to fall in that category.

Precisely where in memory your data is, how it got there and how it's laid out should be bread and butter of any D programmer. It's true that it isn't critical for one-off scripts, but so is deallocation.

Saying stuff like "do more with GC" is just outright harmful.

That is certainly not an unqualified truth. Yes one shouldn't `new` stuff just for fun, but speed of executable is often not what one is trying to optimise when writing code, e.g. when writing a script one is probably trying to minimise development/debugging time.

Kids are reading, for crying out loud.

Oi, you think thats bad? Try reading what some of the other Aussies post, *cough* e.g. a frustrated Manu *cough*