On Friday, 12 October 2018 at 23:35:19 UTC, Stanislav Blinov wrote:
On Friday, 12 October 2018 at 21:39:13 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:

D isn't Java. If you can, put your data on the stack. If you can't, `new` away and don't think about it.

Then five years later, try and hunt down that mysterious heap corruption. Caused by some destructor calling into buggy third-party code. Didn't want to think about that one either?

That hasn't happened to me.

I mean come on, it's 2018. We're writing code for multi-core and multi-processor systems with complex memory interaction.

Sometimes we are. Other times it's a 50 line script.

There is no "sometimes" here. You're writing programs for specific machines. All. The. Time.

I am not. The last time I wrote code for a specific machine it was for my 386, probably around 1995.

Precisely where in memory your data is, how it got there and how it's laid out should be bread and butter of any D programmer.

Of any D programmer writing code that's performance sensitive.

All code is performance sensitive.

If that were true, nobody would write code in Python. And yet...

If it's not speed, it's power consumption. Or memory. Or I/O.

Not if it's good enough as it is. Which, in my my experience, is frequently the case. YMMV.

"Not thinking" about any of that means you're treating your power champion horse as if it was a one-legged pony.

Yes. I'd rather the computer spend its time than I mine. I value the latter far more than the former.

Advocating the "not thinking" approach makes you an outright evil person.

Is there meetup for evil people now that I qualify? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVAD3LQmxbw&t=42