On Sunday, 14 October 2018 at 13:20:09 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Sunday, 14 October 2018 at 12:16:28 UTC, spikespaz wrote:
I'm compiling an executable that does not need administrator privileges. For some reason though, LDC thinks it does and marks it as elevated.

This has nothing to do with ldc. It is just any 32 bit program called setup.exe or install.exe is assumed to be an installer by Windows, and thus triggers UAC unless you specifically tell it not to.

More info (including how to override this default behavior):

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20096706/how-does-windows-decide-whether-to-display-the-uac-prompt

Easiest way, of course, is to just not call it setup.exe

This automation drove me crazy. I changed the name from "install" to "bootstrap" to solve it when I faced this problem. Why should an OS decide whether an executable should be run with admin privileges ? If it has to, then it's up to the developer to explicitly ask for it...