On Monday, 15 October 2018 at 18:46:45 UTC, Manu wrote:
Okay, so I've been thinking on this for a while... I think I have a pretty good feel for how shared is meant to be.

1. shared should behave exactly like const, except in addition to inhibiting write access, it also inhibits read access.

Are you familiar with reference capabilities[1] in the pony language? They describe many of them in terms of read/write uniqueness. Another way they describe them [2] is in denying aliases, like deny global read alias.

[1] https://tutorial.ponylang.io/capabilities/reference-capabilities.html
[2] See page 12-14: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~scd/Pony-WG2.16.pdf