On Thursday, 18 October 2018 at 19:37:24 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 07:09:42PM +0000, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
I often have the impression that a lot of things are going slower than necessary because a mentality where the perfect is in the way of good.

That is indeed an all-too-frequent malady around these parts, sad to say. Which has the sad consequence that despite all efforts, there are still unfinished areas in D, and promises that haven't materialized in years (like multiple alias this).

Still, the parts of D that are working well form a very powerful and comfortable-to-use language. Not quite the ideal we wish it to be, but IMO much closer than any other language I've seen yet. Recently I began dabbling in Android programming, and the one thing that keeps sticking out to me is how painful writing Java is. Almost every day of writing Java code has me wishing for this or that feature in D. Slices. Closures. Meta-programming. I found most of my time spent fighting with language limitations rather than make progress with the problem domain.

Yes, this is why I began the Android port: I couldn't imagine writing Java.

Eventually I resorted to generating Java code from D for some fo the most painful repetitive parts, and the way things are looking, I'm likely to be doing a lot more of that. I fear the way things are going will have be essentially writing a D to Java compiler at some point!

Why not just use the Android port of D?