On 01/07/2010 10:50 PM, Brien wrote:
Don Wrote:

Ok, that's good to know.  I assumed because D billed itself as a "systems"
programming language that performance would be paramount.

He's talking about his converter program, not about D!

Oops, sorry about the misinterpretation.

I'm sure I'm the millionth person to ask this, but- is there a language out
there that is bare metal like C/C++ with the friendlier syntax and developer
productivity of Java/C#?

D is trying to be exactly that. We don't have the infrastructure yet,
though. So the productivity gains are a bit theoretical at present...

Cool.

That being the case, I'm not sure I can give up my addiction to Jetbrains
Resharper.  Do you think a fully automated translation from C#->D is possible
so that I can continue to primary develop using C# tools?  I'm not too worried
about library support- I can reimplement whatever I need, just the language itself.

Also, is the threading support and memory model of D1.0 solid and performant?
I'm a little unclear about how synchronization is achieved.  I see the
synchronized keyword and I've seen some references to using mutexes, but I
don't really have a clear picture.

Thanks

Wouldn't it be more efficient for you and the code to implement the performance critical parts as a library in D and use that in C#? D can easily do extern(C) so it's not much work, much less probably than massaging an automated port.

If you go with D1 take a look at the ldc compiler and the tango documentation for class libraries (these should contain a fair bit of information):

www.dsource.org/projects/tango
www.dsource.org/projects/ldc