On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:17:32 -0500, Ellery Newcomer <ellery-newco...@utulsa.edu> wrote:

For example, there is no possible way a person unfamiliar with computers
(and most programmers who have not run into this) would believe that

b = 5;
a = -b;

Tell any math major that fixnum arithmetic is really just arithmetic modulo 2^32 and they would believe you, even if they had never heard of computers

But you don't designate it as such. If it was required to designate modulo 32 in the expression, then it would be fine with me. I went through Calc V and never really had to worry about this. Advanced mathematicians are not a model for the everyday programmer :)

Even if you explain it to people, they still forget! It's the same as != null was.

-Steve