On 03/11/2010 05:14 AM, Denis Koroskin wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 02:53:33 +0300, Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

The kick-off meeting for Thunderbird 3:

"Thunderbird 2 is quite sluggish, has poor asynchronous execution of
tasks, poor focus control, and annoying modal dialogs on error. What
do we do for version 3?"

"Let's build on all that! We'll make Thunderbird 3 even more sluggish
even on the best of machines. Let them wait for second with an old
screen whenever they click on something."

"Excellent! While we're at it, let's make the selection colors such
that the user never knows where the focus is. That, combined with the
slugishness of the UI, will go a great job at confusing people."

"And how about this - let's even insert large delays at random while
the user is typing an email. There's nothing better than typing out of
sync with the screen!"

"Awesome! To make the deal sweeter, we'll replace the useful filter
functionality with a full-blown search. That would require us to index
all emails in the background thus making things even slower, and will
confuse the heck out of everyone."

"Go Thunderbird 3!"

Sigh.

Andrei

If would recommend using Opera. If not as a default Web-browser, at
least as a Mail-agent.
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/7317/picture1qf.png

Thanks, Denis. I'm looking at Opera now and will give it a try. Unfortunately it shares a number of issues with Thunderbird, among which out-of-sync display:

http://erdani.com/opera-out-of-sync.jpg

The message displayed in the message pane is unrelated to the one clicked in the list above. I'm not talking milliseconds here; I'm talking a dozen seconds. The headers were loading, and the out-of-sync period could be arbitrarily long. To me that's a crass error.

It is technically very easy to put a nice progress display up as soon as the selection is changed so as to keep the user in the know about what's going on. But it takes a Steve Jobs to actually understand the importance of UI and to make sure it gets done right. The man is worth every penny.