On 03/23/2010 02:34 PM, Fawzi Mohamed wrote:

On 23-mar-10, at 19:04, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

What I'm pushing for as of now is to move the associative array
definition from opacity into templated goodies in object_.d.

that would be nice, that is one the main reasons Steven implementation
is faster.
It would be nice if this would be done by the compiler as rewriting the
calls as call to "normal" templates, i.e. to a specially named templated
struct (AArray for example) so that (syntactic sugar for the name aside)
that would be the same as a library implementation.
This would have two advantages:
- easy to replace the library implementation, as it would be even less
special
- easy to replace the usage in one piece of code with another
implementation (well truth to be told that is rather easy also now)

I have much loftier goals, which scare Walter sometimes :o). In the long term, my plan is to allow object.d to decide on a number of fundamental program-wide choices, such as the use of mark-sweep GC versus reference counting GC. In wake of my experience with D in heavyset programs, I reckon that there is a necessity to have deterministic memory management for a subset of applications.

Walter is afraid that that's going to mean the balkanization of D - everyone will define their own object.d. That may be a risk, but I strongly believe it's a risk worth taking.