Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 03/25/2010 06:11 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Then you'll be happy to start using octal as soon as I commit it.

Haven't changed my mind about that, nor the reasons!

Haven't seen you posting the results of the grep. As "reason" has the
same root as "reasoning", there must be some of it aside from just
subjective preference. As such, there must be some way you could respond to this:

druntime has 152 octal constants for a total of 53130 lines.

That's a lot more than I expected.

And yes, there are reasons to have octal constants, and reasons not to. D will survive with or without them. In the end, it's a subjective call, dare I say a matter of 'taste'?

I admit it, I just like octal constants. I like the way they look. I don't feel an urge to kill it with fire. I'd be sad to see them go. I like disco music, too, despite it being definitely out of style.

One thing is clear, though. 0177 is never going to be a decimal number in D, because it will silently and disastrously break code translated from C. The only choice is to support 0177 as octal or make it a syntax error. I'd rather support them.