Kyle Mallory wrote:
On 4/1/10 10:51 PM, Justin Johansson wrote:
Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

<snip>

Kyle

I second all this. I understand D is not a "corporative" project backed up by a huge marketing team or anything like that, but better managing of its image and communication channels (in usability and appearance) would help it a lot.

Speaking clearly:

- The D website at Digital Mars is ugly, and it contains a lot of obsolete information (the same for Wiki4D).

- The forums access thorough web is also awful and has some bugs that lead to posting in the wrong lists sometimes.

- The information is scattered (several webs, newsgroups, stack overflow, ...), and because of the relatively novelty of the project and the amount of people coming in and going out, most of the information you find is old and unmaintained. This applies to many projects in dsource.

- and... the D logo is awful :)

Having a more professional look, and better information structure would really help D a lot. Even if this means "removing" information or placing it in a clearly marked "ancient/obsolete/unmaintained" category. Aggregating the content will make it easier for its references to scale up in the search engines result list.

Finally about the real subject of this thread (the newsgroups): When all this internet thing started one of the best things was freedom and anonymity. But now i think it is one of the worst things, and for really focused discussion groups, having real people with real names and a brief but real personal and professional profile can help improve the quality of the discussion. Also, free "immediate" registration to participate in this site is not necessary a good thing. Moderated approval of people with "believable" profiles ("verified" would be ideal, but not realistic) could help.

One of the best sources of discussion on game development, for example, is "www.thechaosengine.com" site. You cannot participate in the private part of the site unless you prove you are a game developer. The quality of those forums are far ahead of anything else i have seen.

Also keeping an internal "prestige system" like Stack Overflow, or Canonical's Launchpad seems a good thing.

I re-read my mail and i am surprised to be writing in favor of a relatively closed approach and against free access and anonymity. I must have changed a lot during the last years...

j.

...i mean...

Jordi Rovira i Bonet
Lead Graphics Programmer