On 4/20/2010 6:26 PM, Justin Johansson wrote:
Eric Poggel wrote:

So I guess the thrust of my topic tonight is, could D somehow reinvent
itself to fame and fortune in the high-level-language-for-JavaScript
space?

Justin Johansson

I've done a significant amount of web-app development myself, but to
me this seems like a bad idea. If I want to sit down and write
something quickly and don't care about performance, JavaScript or Haxe
are great languages to do it in and can be more productive than D.
However, even the best JavaScript vm's (like V8) are on average 10x
slower than C++/D. So if performance matters, I always chose D.

If I write D to run on a JavaScript VM, I lose both the productivity
of JavaScript and the speed of D.

Thanks for the reality check; probably it's a silly idea. Nevertheless
I'm glad to have inquired as, even though I like the idea of optional
static typing in Haxe, I'll be reconsidering whether using Haxe in a new
web project is a good idea also. One thing I can't figure out is why
Haxe is not as popular as it "should" be. Maybe for similar reasons as
you say?

Cheers
Justin

I haven't used Haxe, but why reconsider using it?

I should've also clarified that I'm usually more productive in JavaScript for small projects because it usually takes less code for the same thing, but more so in D for large ones due to the benefits of static typing.