On 04/24/2010 12:52 PM, strtr wrote:
Walter Bright Wrote:

strtr wrote:
Portability will become more important as evo algos get used
more. Especially in combination with threshold functions. The
computer will generate/optimize all input/intermediate values
itself and executing the program on higher precision machines
might give totally different outputs.

You've got a bad algorithm if increasing the precision breaks it.

No, I don't. All algorithms using threshold functions which have been
generated using evolutionary algorithms will break by changing the
precision. That is, you will need to retrain them. The point of most
of these algorithms(eg. neural networks) is that you don't know what
is happening in it.

I'm not an expert in GA, but I can tell that a neural network that is dependent on precision is badly broken. Any NN's transfer function must be smooth.