Graham Fawcett wrote:
On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:01:30 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

Graham Fawcett wrote:
The fact that libxml2/libxslt support not only XML parsing and DOM
building, but also XSLT, XPath, XPointer, XInclude, RelaxNG, etc.,
means that any homegrown library will be hard-pressed to cover the same
range of tools and features.

There are too many half-baked XML libraries in the world. No disrespect
intended to opticron or anyone else; it just doesn't make a lot of
sense to reinvent such a complex wheel (and believing that XML
processing isn't complex is a sure sign that your homegrown library's
design is incomplete!).

Graham
I think what we need for the standard library is to take a solid XML
library licensed generously and adapt it to work with arbitrary ranges.

By "adapt" do you mean writing a wrapper for an existing library, or translating the source code of the library into D? What constitutes a "generous license" in this context? (For what it's worth, libxml2 is under the MIT License.)

Graham

We'd need to modify the code. I haven't looked into available xml libraries so I don't know which would be eligible.