The fact that the operations in std.container carry specific performance
constraints will make it work much better I think. Also, D's ability to
alter how a function is defined based on the attributes of a given container
makes it much easier to write algorithms which are efficient for each
container type without having to worry about calling member functions in
some cases and non-member functions in others or anything like that. So, I
think that std.container really looks like it could lead me to write good,
container-independent code. However, I don't have much experience with
writing container-independent code because it doesn't work very well in C++,
and it can be quite detrimental to performance in other languages like Java
because the performance characteristics of different containers vary so
much.

Yeah, exactly. We're all in the same boat really. Time will tell how that really goes.