Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

I finalized BinaryHeap. It's pretty cool - it builds a forward range on top of a random-access range - typically T[] - or a random-access container - typically Array!T.

The difference is simple - if you build on top of a range the heap can't grow beyond the size of that range. Building on top of a container makes the heap growable.

Making BinaryHeap a range is actually pretty cool - just walking the heap is tantamount to lazily sorting the container. (Of course BinaryHeap has primitives in addition to the four range primitives.)

Do you agree with putting BinaryHeap in std.range (as opposed to std.container)?

No. Binaryheap may work like a range, and it's definitely usable as a
range, but the associativity of my brain says it's a container.
I fear this will end up like enum for manifest constants, which behaves
the way it should, but does not belong in that location.

--
Simen