On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:03:24 -0400, Don <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

In the comments for bug 4077, "Bugs caused by bitwise operator precedence" it was asked why C gave & with lower precedence than ==, when it is unintuitive and a frequent source of bugs.

I was quite shocked to find that the reason is backwards compatibility with the B programming language.

Denis Ritchie says (http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html):
--------------------
At the suggestion of Alan Snyder, I introduced the && and || operators to make the mechanism [[short circuit evaluation]] more explicit.

Their tardy introduction explains an infelicity of C's precedence rules. In B one writes

     if (a==b & c) ...

to check whether a equals b and c is non-zero; in such a conditional expression it is better that & have lower precedence than ==. In converting from B to C, one wants to replace & by && in such a statement; to make the conversion less painful, we decided to keep the precedence of the & operator the same relative to ==, and merely split the precedence of && slightly from &. Today, it seems that it would have been preferable to move the relative precedences of & and ==, and thereby simplify a common C idiom: to test a masked value against another value, one must write

     if ((a&mask) == b) ...

where the inner parentheses are required but easily forgotten.
Tragic. Can we end this madness?

Could we give & | ^ the same precedence as ==, making
(a & mask == b) an error, just as (a < b == c) is rejected?
That way we could lay this common bug to rest. I've personally lost days of my life to this one. It's a bug 100% of the time.

Or is too late to break backwards compatibility with B ?

BTW I think this a great cautionary tale about the dangers of rating backwards compatibility too highly.

Well, you've got a big vote++ from this a & mask == b bug survivor. I also think your solution is simple and elegant.