On Jun 23, 10 19:18, bearophile wrote:
Leandro Lucarella:
Yes, I don't think "copying with 'cosmetic changes'" works, legally
speaking. Otherwise everybody would be doing it.

If 10% of changes is not legally enough, they LLVM dev can copy it and then
change the 15% of it or even 20%. There must exist a minimum amount of
differences between two blocks of code that allows them to be legally
considered different, otherwise GNU is worse than a software patent.

The % doesn't matter. If your code is a "derivative work" of some GPL code, then your code must also be in GPL if you distribute it.

Nick Sabalausky:
Plus, do we even know that this is what's holding up LLVM exceptions on
Windows?<

The main LLVM dev(s) are hired by Apple, that I presume is not so worried of
windows too much. What they want is people to think LLVM is a bit
multi-platform, so they can contribute to the project for free.
I'll restart helping the LLVM project when it has gained some exceptions for
Windows :-)

Bye,
bearophile