retard wrote:
Thu, 08 Jul 2010 21:43:57 -0400, Robert Jacques wrote:

Check out Walter's slides and/or talk from the D conference.
(http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?
art_group=digitalmars.D.announce&article_id=12555)
AST does stand for abstract syntax tree and they are much more like Lisp
macros as opposed to the C preprocessor.

Too bad nothing happened. He promised AST macros, but it will probably still take several years before we have a preliminary implementation and maybe 10-20 years before a written spec & almsot bug-free implementation.

Part of what happened was that at the conference, I showed that the functionality of string mixins was a superset of what was planned for AST macros. Since that time, there has not been any kind of proposal, or even a concept. So it's a bit meaningless to talk about "AST macros" right now as if they were a planned-but-not-yet-implemented feature.