On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:25:43 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

I'm unsure how it will work either. I admit now that I didn't think
through how this will be used.

It's very simple. As far as a user of an output range is concerned,
they should write stuff like:

put(r, '[');
char[] someBuf;
put(r, someBuf);
put(r, ", ");
put(r, ']');

in confidence that things are reasonably efficient.

How does that work for a range whose front() can be assigned a dchar?
Wait, it doesn't, because it won't compile.

But wouldn't that be the same for a delegate that takes a dchar?

I'm very confused at what you are trying to do. I expected that a char[]
would be a valid output range.

A char[] should be a valid output range for a dchar. I forgot to encode all valid strings situations, working on that now.