Rainer Deyke wrote:
On 7/13/2010 01:03, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Rainer Deyke" <rain...@eldwood.com> wrote in message news:i1gs16$1oj...@digitalmars.com...
The great strength of string mixins is that you can use them to add the
AST macros to D.  The great weakness of string mixins is that doing so
requires a full (and extendable) CTFE D parser, and that no such parser
is provided by Phobos.
Seems to me that would lead to unnecessary decreases in compilation performance. Such as superfluous re-parsing. And depending how exactly DMD does CTFE, a CTFE D parser could be slower than just simply having DMD do the parsing directly.

True. I tend to ignore compile-time costs.  The performance of computers
is increasing exponentially.  The length of the average computer program
is more or less stable.  Therefore this particular problem will
eventually solve itself.

Of course, this is just my perspective as a developer who uses a
compiler maybe twenty times a day.  If I was writing my own compiler
which was going to be used thousands of times a day by thousands of
different developers, I'd have a different attitude.

CTFE isn't intrinsically slow. The reason it's so slow in DMD right now is that the treatment of CTFE variables is done in an absurdly inefficient way.