On 07/13/2010 04:42 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 00:33:20 +0300, bearophile
<bearophileh...@lycos.com> wrote:

Vladimir Panteleev:
ARGHARGHARGH

There is emplace() now. I don't know how much good it currently is.

I know that I can do this manually in other ways, the problem is that
this creates verbose and unintuitive code.

I agree. I think we should, again, define two primitives:

T* malloc(T, A...)(A args) if (!is(T == class) && !isDynamicArray!T);
T malloc(T, A...)(A args) if (is(T == class) || isDynamicArray!T);
free(T)(ref T obj);

The first two call C's malloc, constructor (if any), and returns the
allocated object. The last calls the destructor (if any) and then free().

worksforyou?

Andrei

Are they going to register the range with the GC for scanning?
If so then fine. I do stuff where I've got deterministically allocated structs which can wind up having the only live references to other GC objects.

Though perhaps we could have 2 different functions, one that registers the object with the GC & one without. Being able to easily mix & match memory strategies is a great feature so it would be nice to still be able to easily do it, even if you make it all library functions with great big 'Danger Will Robinson!' stickers all over it.

--
My enormous talent is exceeded only by my outrageous laziness.
http://www.ssTk.co.uk