== Quote from eris (jvbur...@gmail.com)'s article
> This is a relatively difficult problem in general to do portably due to
> hardware
differences, topology differences, changes to hardware, OS variations.  Even the
pthreads library doesn't reliably implement it in a portable manner.
> I came to the conclusion that the people most motivated to keep up to date on
portable CPU core topology are the national supercomputing labs.  INRIA and
various US labs came up with "Portable Hardware Locality" library.  It gives you
*everything* you need to discover the number of CPU sockets, memory
architecture,
number of cores per socket, control cpu affinity etc.
> The HWLoc C libraries are written by the open-mpi project here:
http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/

I appreciate the help, but honestly, if detecting this properly requires adding
dependencies to my projects, I'm happier with the simple workaround of having a
manual command line switch to specify the number of CPUs.  The projects in
question are internal research projects, not things that are going to be
released
on the computer-illiterate masses.  It would be nice to not have to manually
specify such a parameter on every run, but not nice enough to be worth
introducing
a dependency.