Norbert Nemec wrote:
I agree that contracts offer too much liberty. However, I would actually go one step further than bearophile:

I find the need for "assert" statements not only superfluous but actually misleading. A contract violation is something conceptionally different from a broken assertion. Assertions and contracts have different purposes.

In what way are their purposes different?

In my opinion, contracts should not be lists of statements but simply boolean expressions that have to evaluate to true. Contract checks would then become decoupled from assertion checks. Both could be switched independently at compile time.

For any case where the contract is more complex than what can be handled by an expression, one should simply define a pure function, which would even help to unclutter the code and keep contract short and concise to read.

I think that's a stylistic issue, not a language one.