On 2010-08-02 15:18, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 2010-08-02 02:07, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Hello,

I got an email from someone who got an interest in D following my talk
at Google. He tried to install dmd on OSX, but got turned off (and
rightly so) for the unnecessary difficulties of that process and the
lack of documentation. Nicely of him he took the time to write me and
detail his experience. Following that, Walter managed to fix the most
egregious documentation errors.

Ideally we'd have a one-click OSX installer for dmd - a .dmg file. Is
someone able and willing to own this project? I think improving the
out-of-the-box experience is important and urgent.

Andrei

P.S. My talk at Google went, I think, reasonably well. It could've gone
a whole lot better; I neglected to make a couple of points. The talk was
recorded and, I was told, the recording will be on YouTube some time
next week. My mentions of Python and Haskell will probably get me
mortified in certain circles.

Have you guys completely forgot
http://dsource.org/projects/dmd-installer/browser/trunk/osx ? It's been
there for over a year.

Hi Jacob,

Apologies for the oversight. I take it it's okay if Walter uses your
code to build the distribution automatically? If so, what are the
similarities and the differences with Michel's approach?

Andrei

Yes, it's okay, that was the whole point of the code. The difference is that the package my code builds will contain dmd and it will install it in a different location (/usr/share/dmd). Obviously it doesn't contain the XCode plugin.

--
/Jacob Carlborg