On 08/04/2010 01:38 PM, Tomek Sowiński wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu napisał:

I tested on two laptops (Ubuntu and Mac OSX). I compiled the two
languages' standard libraries by using the provided makefiles, after
touching all .go and all .d files involved. Then I divided the
compilation times by the line counts of *.go/*.d files as wc has them
and compared the results.

On OSX dmd was 4.3 times faster. On Ubuntu, the ratio was 4.45.

Was D with or without --unittest? I'm asking because unittests are instances
and plenty of Phobos is templates for which AFAIK much work
is deferred to instantiation.

No -unittest. In Phobos the unittest build turns -unittest on separately for each module, so I can't quickly test the build speed with -unittest on. That being said, there's still plenty of non-template code in Phobos.

BTW Phobos is built in release mode (as I assume go's library is). Building in debug mode reduces build time by more than a third.