On 08/07/2010 02:53 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
bearophile wrote:
Walter has said that putting ddoc inside the compiler helps keep ddoc
uniform, so people don't invent/use something different. In theory
this is a
nice purpose, but in practice I have seen lot of people use other
documentation means for D, Doxygen. Walter seems to ignore how much often
such other systems are used instead of ddoc.

It's fine if people choose to use other documentation systems. Ddoc,
though, sets a minimum standard, and it's always there, requires no
additional installs, is always synced to the compiler, is always on
every platform D is, etc.

My experience with languages that do not have built in doc abilities is,
by and large, only a tiny minority of programmers use a doc system.
Having to research, download, install, read the manual, address
incompatibilities, etc., takes effort and the reality is that by making
such effort close to zero it greatly encourages people to use it.

The same goes for unit tests.

For another example, back in the 80's, it was commonplace for people to
dis the C text preprocessor as "not a real macro system". Those who
wanted a better one were advised to "just use m4". How many people using
C or C++ today use m4 as the preprocessor? Zilch. The C preprocessor was
good enough to get the job done, it was always there, always ready, and
that was that.

(Note that I'm not defending the preprocessor, I'm just illustrating the
power of having something built in as opposed to being a separate tool.)

Boost's preprocessor library is a powerful exhibit in favor of your argument. I think I wouldn't be mistaken to say that everything it does can be done much easier and much better, plus with m4 you can do a lot other things of interest. But the Boost preprocessor library wins because "it's there".