On 2010-08-09 07:12:38 -0400, bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com> said:

Kagamin:

Don't you minimize heap allocation etc by reading whole file in one io call?

The whole thread was about lazy read of file lines. If the file is very large it's not wise to load it all in RAM at once.

For non-huge files that can fit in the memory space, I'd just memory-map the whole file and treat it as a giant string that I could then slice and keep the slices around (yeah!). The virtual memory system will take care of loading the file content's as you read from its memory space, so the file isn't loaded all at once.

But that's not compatible with the C file IO functions. Does Python uses C file IO calls when reading from a file? If not, perhaps that's why it's faster.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.for...@michelf.com