On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:08:30 -0400, Lutger <lutger.blijdest...@gmail.com> wrote:

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
This would make destructors a lot more useful.  Thoughts?

-Steve

My first thought was that they are actually two separate functions distinguished
by a boolean, then Michel also mentioned the SafeD argument.

atm I think it is better to let go of the destructor entirely for anything else than the GC collecting non-gc owned data as we now have. (the unsafe version, not compilable in SafeD). Rather provide a standard interface to implement and base deterministic release of resources on that. A much more simple version of
IDisposable. clear() can call this one and leave ~this alone.

Hm... something I just thought of that makes this bad, destructors are special in that they automatically call base destructors. You can't do that with a simple function.

But it could be done the way you say (with the caveat that you have to manually call the base method). I think clear should call ~this() in addition to the dispose method because you don't want to have to duplicate code.

-Steve