On 08/19/2010 04:37 AM, dsimcha wrote:
I've been hacking in Phobos and parallelfuture and I've come to the conclusion
that having typeof(c) in the expression foreach(c; string.init) not be a dchar
is simply ridiculous.  I don't care how much existing code gets broken, this
needs to be fixed.  Otherwise, all generic code will have to deal with it as a
special case.  Most of it will probably overlook this special case in
practice, and the net result will be more broken code than if we just bite the
bullet and fix this now.

Currently, strings break foreach in generic code. This is terrible!

I agree with this. I thought char[] was a UTF-8 sequence, not a byte sequence.